Summer is finally here, and it is time to break out the one piece of clothing that will go with anything……..flip-flops! This fashion accessory also has a few drawbacks that could lead to some serious problems.
Here are some tips from the American Podiatric Medical Association’s website about what and what not to do with flip-flops:
- Make sure that the flip-flops you purchase or currently have are made with quality leather. Better leather means less foot irritation.
- Your flip-flops should never bend in half. Wearing flimsy flip-flops (say that fast three times) can cause you to trip and fall.
- This is one I am guilty of. Make sure the edge of your foot does not go over the end of the flip-flops.
- Flip-flops are inexpensive. So, do not wear the same pair for years.
- If your feet and in between your toes become irritated, stop wearing them! Who needs to deal with blisters and infection during the summer.
Some people think it is OK to wear flip-flops while playing sports. That is a huge NO-NO!!! Twisting of ankles and sprains are probably going to happen. And you should never mow the lawn wearing those either.
Enjoy your summer and wear your flip-flops proud!!! But, make sure to be safe and don’t hurt your feet.